The GR1 is GORUCK’s original and most versatile rucksack. Think of it as a dayruck or minimalist overnight ruck that protects a laptop (or a hydration bladder) with force. Comfortable in cities, warzones, when rucking to train, and at our Events, GR1 is our most popular piece of gear.
GR1 works great at GORUCK Light, The Challenge, Heavy, and Selection.
- Built in the USA of military-grade, highly water-resistant materials.
- Two compartments: one main, one laptop/hydration next to your back.
- Main compartment opens flat, internal pocket layout allows for optimal organization.
- 17″ tall bombproof compartment next to your back is extra reinforced to securely take a laptop or hydration bladder into combat.
- External slant pocket provides quick access to keys, snacks, and other small items.
- 2” x 3” VELCRO® on front allows you to customize GR1 with the patch of your choice (patch is not included).
- GR1’s low profile makes it an ideal assaulter’s ruck (houses and doorways are smaller overseas). While rucking, this means the weight stays closer to your back, which is the preferred technique.
- Opens flat for easy packing and maximum organization – this is a feature found in Special Forces medical rucks.
- Shoulder straps are extra padded to carry heavier loads more comfortably.
- Designed to sit high on your back, placing most of the weight on the shoulders and back (the preferred technique when rucking because these are large muscle groups).
- 3 rows of external and internal MOLLE webbing sized to fit a GR1 Field pocket and other MOLLE friendly accessories.
- Scars Lifetime Guarantee: Ruck Hard, Play Hard.
Laptop/Hydration Bladder Compartment
- Separate, zipper-closed bombproof compartment next to your back protects up to a 17” MacBook Pro or a hydration bladder. Tip: do not put a laptop and a hydration bladder in the same compartment at the same time. Water and electronics do not play well together.
- When placing a hydration bladder in this compartment, we recommend the Low Profile Source Hydration Bladder. It is flatter than the Standard Source Hydration bladder, thereby causing much less of a bulge (when full of water) next to your back.
- You can choose to put your hydration bladder in the main compartment instead, and carabiner it to the top MOLLE webbing. You’ll have to see how each option feels on your back and make the decision based on your preference.
- From either compartment you can still feed your bladder hose through a VELCRO® closed opening underneath the top handle of the ruck.
Rucking (Bricks or Filler Bags) and at our Events
- Rucking/Events: Filler bags or up to 6 wrapped bricks fit in the main compartment under the sheathed elastic retaining band. This is the preferred technique to reduce movement inside the ruck when rucking.
- GR1 is capable of holding more weight than any human should ruck with. We're talking hundreds of pounds.
- Hydration bladder: you can put one in either the laptop/hydration bladder compartment or in the main compartment. The Source Low Profile bladder is the preferred technique because it lies flatter. In the main compartment, either Source bladder functions well. When in doubt, go with the Low Profile.
- GR1 Field Pocket attaches to the internal or the external MOLLE webbing and allows for additional organization with protective padding. Shadow Pockets and dry bags also allow for increased organization. Tip: colored pockets inside of a black ruck are easier to see.
- Carabiners – attach one to the exterior to hold gloves when you’re on the move. Attach one to the interior MOLLE to hold your hydration bladder and/or Nalgene bottle.
- Sternum Straps – when secured, these help distribute the load differently across your back and shoulders. Tip: when rucking with a sternum strap present, alternate securing it and not. This allows you to alternate weight distribution across various muscle groups.
- Filler bags – use these to fulfill weight requirements for GORUCK Events and when rucking to train.
||1000Denier CORDURA® - the preferred material for Special Forces rucks due to its strength to weight ratio and durability. High stress points are strength tested at over 400 lbs.
||YKK zippers with silent, glove friendly zipper pulls constructed from gutted parachute 550 cord (gutted to reduce bulk). There is no good reason why zippers should make noise when rucking (or assaulting). Ours don’t.
||Black - Ballistic CORDURA® / Colored - Double layered 1000 D CORDURA®
||12" W x 20" H x 6.75" D
||Up to a 17" MacBook Pro
||3 liter hydration bladder (not included) with hydration tube exit port found under the top handle of the ruck.
||3.20 pounds (1.45 kilograms)
Note: By military-spec submersion tests, waterproof means you could repeatedly submerge something and its contents would stay entirely dry. Our rucks are highly water resistant but not technically waterproof. 1000D CORDURA® protects internal contents from rain – this and its strength to weight ratio are why 1000D CORDURA® is the preferred material for Special Forces rucksacks.