Beached: Key West, FL - Thursday, May 24th through Monday, May 28th 2012, Key West, FL
Thursday, May 24, 2012 8:00 AM
Start Point will be posted at least a week before the event.
Thursday, May 24th through Monday, May 28th 2012, Key West, FL
Volunteer Day: Wednesday, May 23rd
You’ve all survived a Challenge on land, perhaps even the Ascent in the mountains, and now the ocean is calling, as it is wont to do. At Beached, you’ll spend four ‘Special Forces meets Robinson Crusoe’ style days in and around Key West, Florida, completing team-based missions on foot and in the water. Get ready for rafts, fins, and miles and miles of sandy terrain. Movement throughout the ocean and in the city will be constant, and having beers in hand is always a priority – something earned together.
Beached is also an opportunity to gain insight into how America trains its most elite soldiers. Fieldcraft taught by Green Berets will include:
- Mission planning and preparation
- Land and ocean navigation/map reading
- Survival (hunter/gatherer stuff)
- Medical (field expedient and emergency based)
Due to the difficulty and our assumption that everyone understands the priority we place on teamwork, only those who have successfully passed a GORUCK Challenge are eligible to participate. Additionally, participants must be able to swim – meaning you must already know how before you arrive.
Here’s the Deal
- GORUCK Tough Alumni only. However, if you’ve registered for an upcoming Challenge that takes place before Beached, you’re welcome aboard.
- Start time: Thursday, May 24th. Do not schedule a flight home earlier than the morning of May 28th
- Space: limited to 40 participants. It’s a GRT family reunion.
- Raising money: In addition to the entry fee (see below), you’ll have until Beached to raise $2,000 for the Green Beret Foundation. Notable is that The Special Forces Underwater Operations Combat Diver School is located at Key West, and many active duty Green Berets will be involved because of your desire to help raise money for GBF. Click here to set up a fundraising page. Raising money isn’t as hard as it seems, especially when it’s for a great cause. And it can be fun – throw a kegger, charge money at the door.
- Packing List: Click here for a list of what to bring.
- Rucks: A Radio Ruck or a GR1 is ideal, but as long as it’s GORUCK, the size is up to you. You can pre-order anything at GORUCK.com for 25% off of retail. We’ll send you a code as part of your confirmation email when your check arrives.
- Volunteer day: We will be working hard for the American Legion, Post 28, located on Stock Island.
- Prep: Your main method of transportation will be your feet. Both with and without fins, but mostly with. So fin hard before you show up. Also, this is Key West, so come ready to party, too.
- Shwag: You’ll get a GORUCK Beached t-shirt and patch.
- Refunds: Beached is non refundable, but possibly transferable at our discretion.
Payment Schedule Summary
- $1,600 until April 15
- $1,700 until May 15
To Register: Send a check, made out to GORUCK Events
2516 Q Street NW
Washington, DC 20007
Pre-ordered gear: 25% off retail
Military and first responders: become a GovX member to qualify for discounted registration. Join here.