MOUNTAINOUS NAVIGATION AND SURVIVAL TRAINING
- Acquire the outdoor survival skills required to move safely and effectively in a mountainous environment
- Learn the basics of wilderness medicine with an emphasis on altitude-related conditions
- Feel confident navigating with a map and compass, using GPS as a back-up. We teach you on Military Grid Reference System (MGRS) maps.
- Learn how to manage risk in a wilderness environment
- Apply leadership lessons from a military decision-making model
- Gain confidence in designing and planning trips in the mountainous terrain with proper risk management.
- Learn to embrace adversity while maintaining a smile
- Apply skills learned to a “worst-case” scenario. This just-in-case knowledge might save your life someday.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTSDue to the strenuous nature of summiting mountains, we recommend you have significant experience hiking and/or rucking. GORUCK Challenges as well as rucking on your own serve as suitable preparation for Ascent. Ascent is more physically demanding than Navigator.
EVENT SKILL SETS
- Terrain-based mission planning and preparation
- Land Navigation
- GPS/Compass/Map Reading
- Backcountry/Survival Basics
- Rucksack packing/load distribution
- Survival shelter building/fires
- Emergency evacuation signaling and procedures
- Climbing and mountaineering skills that include anchor systems, rappelling, belaying, knots, and safety - based on weather and terrain requirements
- Basic Wilderness Medicine and First-Aid
- Awareness and prevention of Altitude Sickness (AMS)
- Medical Emergencies/Evacuation preparation and planning
The specific skills taught may differ depending on location, weather, and terrain. For example, if snow is present, the emphasis might be on mountaineering skills such as self-belay and ice anchors instead of rock anchors and rock climbing.
OUR CADREAscent is designed and led by Cadre with extensive Special Operations experience. In addition, we have professional outdoor educators and guides on staff to ensure the quality of our instruction. Our Cadre and Staff offer a unique combination of skillsets honed from years operating in mountainous areas as soldiers and professional climbers.