Date & TimeFriday, August 10, 2018 21:00
Start PointYour start point will be posted to this page and emailed to you at least one week before the event date.
Extortion 17 Memorial
"Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends."
– John 15:13
This event is in memory of EXTORTION 17, the callsign for the Chinook helicopter shot down while attempting to insert reinforcements for a unit of Rangers on 6 August 2011 in Wardak province, Afghanistan. EXTORTION 17 remains the single greatest loss of life in that war. Of the 38 KIA, 17 were SEALs. All were willing to risk their lives for their brothers on the ground. At your challenge, expect the scenarios to build in concert with how the mission unfolded that fateful day. The initial insertion of Rangers, the follow on mission for the Taliban commander, the “Fallen Angel”, and the aftermath. Rest in Peace. Participants are requested to bring a laminated picture of a service member who passed on EXTORTION 17.
10-12 HOURS, 15-20 MILES. THE ORIGINAL CHALLENGE. AVERAGE COMPLETION RATE: 94%
What to Bring
- A rucksack aka backpack (GR1 or Rucker recommended)
- Ruck Plate = to your weight requirement
- If you weigh >150 lbs = 30 lb. Ruck Plate (or equivalent)
- If you weigh < 150 lbs = 20 lb. Ruck Plate (or equivalent)
- Hydration Bladder: Source 3L recommended
- Nalgene bottle (1L) or equivalent (electrolytes recommended)
- Reflective Ruck Bands (or equivalent) on your ruck
- Headlamp with extra batteries
- Windbreaker (only if the temperature is expected below 60 ℉)
- Photo ID and $20 cash just in case
- As a class, you need one (1) 25 lb. class weight and one American Flag. Use your event’s Facebook page to meet your class, organize training, and coordinate team weight details.
- Flip-flops (not required) - upon completion of a GORUCK Tough, it’s one of the seven great feelings in the world to take your shoes and socks off and put flip flops on. It also makes the hell-yeah-I-earned-my-patch beer taste even better.
Transfers & Refunds
- Refunds are not allowed for this event
- Transfering registration to a different participant is not allowed
- Transfers to a different event date can be accommodated if requested more than 7 days before the event
- Event Type:
- Tough Challenge
- Location Name:
- San Diego, California
- United States
- Registration Status: