Date & TimeFriday, July 20, 2018 18:00
Start PointYour start point will be posted to this page and emailed to you at least one week before the event date.
This Heavy Challenge kicks off an HTL (Heavy, Tough, Light) weekend. Sign up for and complete all three Challenges to earn the coveted HTL patch and enter the pantheon of the most elite endurance athletes in the world.
Operation Red Wings Memorial
"Remember the philosophy of the U.S. Navy SEALs: I will never quit...my Nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies.
If knocked down, I will get back up, every time.
I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates...I am never out of the fight."
– Marcus Luttrell, U.S. Navy SEAL and author of Lone Survivor
Commemorate the mission that resulted in the ultimate sacrifice of 19 Special Operations Forces, including U.S. Navy SEAL LT Michael Murphy, who was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor. Participants are requested to present a brief bio, with laminated photo, on one of the service members lost during Red Wings or Red Wings II. Several of our SEAL Cadre served with the members of Operation Red Wings. Expect a history lesson and a timeline re-enactment of the mission described in Lone Survivor. 20% of each registration fee will be donated to the Navy SEAL Foundation.
What to Bring
- A rucksack aka backpack (GR1 or Rucker recommended)
- Ruck Plate = to your weight requirement
- If you weigh >150 lbs = 30 lb. Ruck Plate (or equivalent)
- If you weigh < 150 lbs = 20 lb. Ruck Plate (or equivalent)
- Hydration Bladder: Source 3L recommended
- Nalgene bottle (1L) or equivalent (electrolytes recommended)
- Reflective Ruck Bands (or equivalent) on your ruck
- Headlamp with extra batteries
- One (1) Climbing Carabiner
- Dry Bag (or equivalent, such as a contractor bag) with a change of clothes. If you’re really cold, you’ll be really glad you have this. Be sure to bring one (1) pair of extra socks. You’ll carry this Dry Bag in your ruck.
- Boots (worn) are recommended over sneakers, based on the support you need over all the miles and all the weight. Under no circumstances should you wear Gore-Tex or other “waterproof” boots or socks.
- Food aka lickies and chewies. Just don’t bring the whole Thanksgiving feast, it’s only 24+ hours.
- Photo ID and $20 cash just in case
- As a class, you need one (1) 50 lb. class weight and one American Flag. No wheels will be attached to the team weight and it must be in compliance with Special Forces Rule #1: Always Look Cool. Use your event’s Facebook page to meet your class, organize training, and coordinate team weight details.
- Flip-flops (not required) - upon completion of a GORUCK Heavy, it’s one of the seven great feelings in the world to take your shoes and socks off and put flip flops on. It also makes the hell-yeah-I-earned-my-patch beer taste even better.
Transfers & Refunds
- Transfers to the same type of event are allowed if completed prior to seven days before the start of the event
- Refunds are not allowed for this event
- Event Type:
- Heavy Challenge
- Location Name:
- Charlotte, North Carolina
- North Carolina
- United States
- Registration Status: