Date & TimeSaturday, November 16, 2019 21:00
Start PointYour start point will be posted to this page and emailed to you at least one week before the event date.
Hard Hitter GBF Memorial
“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton
The Hard Hitter events honor the life of Staff Sergeant (SSG) David B. Roten Jr., who served in the United States Army as a decorated Special Forces Weapons Sergeant. After his honorable discharge in 2010, David supported the U.S. Government in austere environments. He was killed in action on November 27, 2014 in hostile territory supporting the U.S. Government. He lived and served with unwavering commitment, passion, and courage, always pushing himself beyond his limits to be the very best. The event is named after the “Hard Hitter” Award, introduced in 2006 by the leadership of Operational Detachment Alpha (ODA) 043 during Operation IRAQI FREEDOM in Baghdad, Iraq. SSG Roten was recognized and honored as ODA 043’s first annual “Hard Hitter” Awardee and was presented with the coveted and hard-earned sledgehammer, which is reflected in the Hard Hitter GORUCK patch. The “Dave Roten Hard Hitter” award will hang in Bravo Company, 3rd Battalion, 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne) forever.
You are requested to bring a photo of someone who made the ultimate sacrifice and wear their name and date of death on your weight.
10-12 HOURS, 15-20 MILES. THE ORIGINAL CHALLENGE. AVERAGE COMPLETION RATE: 94%
What to Bring
- A rucksack aka backpack (GR1 or Rucker recommended)
- Ruck Plate = to your weight requirement
- If you weigh >150 lbs = 30 lb. Ruck Plate (or equivalent)
- If you weigh < 150 lbs = 20 lb. Ruck Plate (or equivalent)
- Hydration Bladder: Source 3L recommended
- Nalgene bottle (1L) or equivalent (electrolytes recommended)
- Reflective Ruck Bands (or equivalent) on your ruck
- Headlamp with extra batteries
- First Aid Kit
- Windbreaker (only if the temperature is expected below 60 ℉)
- Photo ID and $20 cash just in case
- As a class, you need one (1) 25 lb. class weight and one American Flag. Use your event’s Facebook page to meet your class, organize training, and coordinate team weight details.
- Flip-flops (not required) - upon completion of a GORUCK Tough, it’s one of the seven great feelings in the world to take your shoes and socks off and put flip flops on. It also makes the hell-yeah-I-earned-my-patch beer taste even better.
Event Cancellation Policy
- Refunds are not allowed for this event
- Transfering registration to a different participant is not allowed
- Store credit in the amount paid for the registration will be issued if requested more than 30 days before the event (NO EXCEPTIONS)
- This event must have a minimum of 30 registered participants no later than 30 days prior to the start date
- If your event is at risk of being cancelled, you will receive an email 60 days prior to the start date notifying you that your event is at risk
Meeting up to Train
- Event Type:
- Tough Challenge
- Location Name:
- Greenville, South Carolina
- South Carolina
- United States
- Registration Status:
- Chuy, Ragnär, Fagan