Date & TimeFriday, June 21, 2019 21:00
Start PointYour start point will be posted to this page and emailed to you at least one week before the event date.
A PRESIDENTIAL SPECIAL FORCES RUCKING CHALLENGE
In 1908, Teddy Roosevelt issued an executive order to members of the military, later echoed by JFK:
“Do 50 miles in under 20 hours.”
Pretty straightforward, eh?
In JFK’s time it became a national craze, a challenge accepted by people of all walks of life despite claims in those days of the growing softness of the American people. Claims not too dissimilar to those made these days.
We believe those doubting the generations of today are looking in the wrong places. Many of us are not only up to such a 50 Mile Challenge, but we’re starving for some way to push ourselves to those new limits, and beyond.
Echoing Teddy Roosevelt and JFK and adding in our own Special Forces inspiration, here’s a challenge for those of you who seek such things - The GORUCK 50-Miler Star Course, the first rucking ultramarathon of its kind:
- 50+ Miles
- Teams of 2-5
- 10 or 20 lb Ruck Plate on your back depending on your body weight, it’s called rucking
- 20 hours to complete
Finishers earn the GORUCK 50-Miler patch, which will never be for sale.
HOW IT WORKS
You and your team of 2-5 (including you) show up at the Start Point. A GORUCK Cadre will issue you a map and a list of waypoints. The route you and your team choose will be your own, so choose wisely. The minimum distance possible will be just over 50 Miles. You can expect to see the best sites in your city, and you can expect at least one long movement taking you to the outskirts, and possibly beyond.
Prior to starting the clock, we’ll ensure that you make a successful comms check with our remote support team via Instagram (we’ve run hundreds of events using this format, it works great). At each waypoint, you’ll be responsible for posting a picture of your team. This will serve as verification of your mileage, and by the end you’ll have a great album of photos to document the experience.
NOTE: This is not a Cadre led event and there are no push-ups or smoke sessions.
- The course will be at least 50 miles. You and your team can hit the waypoints in whatever order you want (good strategy helps).
- Teams are between 2-5 participants. If and only if the rest of your team withdraws or drops for whatever reason, you can continue solo. If you hit all the points under the allotted time hack, you’ll earn the patch. You are not eligible for any prize money. If this happens, we recommend you link up with another team if possible (you’ll still have to post your own pics) to make it more fun as a shared experience. To be clear, though: you have to hit all the waypoints under the time hack to earn the patch.
- Weight Standard: If you are under 150 lbs, carry a 10 lb weight and if you are over 150 lbs, carry 20 lbs. Each participant will have a 10 or 20 lb Ruck Plate (or equivalent in non-consumable weight) in their rucksack at the start point. GORUCK Cadre will verify weight at the end of the event and spot check as needed.
- Keep your Ruck Plate (or equivalent) per participant with you at all times. You may cross load with your buddy/team members as desired.
- You are required to post a selfie with you and your teammate(s) in the picture at each of the waypoints listed on your waypoint sheet (which you’ll receive at the Start Point).
- Purchasing food along your route at anytime is authorized.
- Meeting outside individuals is allowed (re-supply etc.). They may not physically aid or assist your movement in any way, honor code in effect.
- No method of transportation is authorized except rucking.
- Follow any additional instructions or rules written on your waypoint sheet.
- Obey all traffic laws (and all the other laws, too) while participating.
- Call 911 with any real world emergency. We will provide a phone number on your waypoint sheet for GORUCK support questions.
- Cut-off time: 20 hours to earn the patch.
Register as an individual, ruck as a team (you are responsible for forming or finding a team of 2-5 ruckers)
Includes: the opportunity to earn the finisher’s patch, and a cold one or two at the end point.
WHAT TO BRING
- Ruck Plate, 10 or 20 lbs (or equivalent)
- Rucksack (GORUCK GR1/Rucker or equivalent)
- Reflective Ruck Bands (or equivalent) on your rucksack
- Headlamp (+ extra set of batteries)
- Smartphone with external battery (at least 1 per team)
- Instagram app downloaded onto smartphone (at least 1 per team)
- Photo ID and $20 cash (just in case)
- Source Hydration Bladder, 3L
- Nalgene bottle
- Food (lickies and chewies)
- One extra pair of socks
- Waterproof bag
- Strobe light
THE FINISHER’S PATCH
If you come in under 20 hours, you and your teammates earn the patch. If you don’t, there’s always next year.
It’s about the journey, and finishing is a noble and worthy goal. But for those kindred spirits who want a little healthy competition, we’re offering some GORUCK cash prizes for the winners.
GORUCK Cash Prizes (redeemable at goruck.com), per team:
- 1st Place team: $300
- 2nd Place team: $200
- 3rd Place team: $100
Everyone earns a beer (and a hug) at the finish. We’ll see ya there.
Transfers & Refunds
- Refunds are not allowed for this event
- Transfering registration to a different participant is not allowed
- Transfers to a different event date can be accommodated if requested more than 30 days before the event
Meeting up to Train
- Event Type:
- Star Course- 50 Miler
- Location Name:
- Houston, Texas
- United States
- Registration Status:
- Michael Shredder