Date & TimeFriday, August 30, 2019 21:00
Start PointYour start point will be posted to this page and emailed to you at least one week before the event date.
"I do not believe that the men who served in uniform in Vietnam have been given the credit they deserve.
It was a difficult war against an unorthodox enemy."
— General Westmoreland, Commander, Military Assistance Command, Vietnam (MACV), 1964-68
The Tet Offensive, the Son Tay Raid, the Viet Cong and NVA (North Vietnamese Army), Army Special Forces including MACV-SOG, the Ho Chi Minh Trail, POW-MIA’s, the Hanoi Hilton, and the underpublicized role of the Montagnards (indigenous) who fought and died as partners to our Special Forces. The Vietnam War spanned twenty years and at your GORUCK Challenge, we’ll address some relevant milestones and missions, friends and foes, fighters and politicians, the overall goal being to remember and honor the sacrifice of millions of Americans who never got the credit they deserve. You are encouraged to watch The Vietnam War by Ken Burns prior, and to bring a memento or picture of someone who served in Vietnam with you to your event.
10-12 HOURS, 15-20 MILES. THE ORIGINAL CHALLENGE. AVERAGE COMPLETION RATE: 94%
What to Bring
- A rucksack aka backpack (GR1 or Rucker recommended)
- Ruck Plate = to your weight requirement
- If you weigh >150 lbs = 30 lb. Ruck Plate (or equivalent)
- If you weigh < 150 lbs = 20 lb. Ruck Plate (or equivalent)
- Hydration Bladder: Source 3L recommended
- Nalgene bottle (1L) or equivalent (electrolytes recommended)
- Reflective Ruck Bands (or equivalent) on your ruck
- Headlamp with extra batteries
- Windbreaker (only if the temperature is expected below 60 ℉)
- Photo ID and $20 cash just in case
- As a class, you need one (1) 25 lb. class weight and one American Flag. Use your event’s Facebook page to meet your class, organize training, and coordinate team weight details.
- Flip-flops (not required) - upon completion of a GORUCK Tough, it’s one of the seven great feelings in the world to take your shoes and socks off and put flip flops on. It also makes the hell-yeah-I-earned-my-patch beer taste even better.
Transfers & Refunds
- Refunds are not allowed for this event
- Transfering registration to a different participant is not allowed
- Transfers to a different event date can be accommodated if requested more than 7 days before the event
Meeting up to Train
- Event Type:
- Tough Challenge
- Location Name:
- Memphis, Tennessee
- United States
- Registration Status: