Date & TimeFriday, May 18, 2018 21:00
A PRESIDENTIAL SPECIAL FORCES RUCKING CHALLENGE
In 1908, Teddy Roosevelt issued an executive order to members of the military, later echoed by JFK:
“Do 50 miles in under 20 hours.”
Pretty straightforward, eh?
In JFK’s time it became a national craze, a challenge accepted by people of all walks of life despite claims in those days of the growing softness of the American people. Claims not too dissimilar to those levied these days.
We believe those doubting the generations of today are looking in the wrong places, and we believe many of us are not only up to such a 50 Mile Challenge, but we’re starving for some way to push ourselves to those new limits, and beyond.
Plus Some Special Forces Inspiration: The Star Course
Rucking is the foundation of Special Forces training and the “Star Course” is the culminating rucking exercise of Special Forces Selection. You show up with your ruck and you get a list of waypoints. You plot your route, then you start rucking: point to point, mile after mile.
For a lot of miles.
Echoing Teddy Roosevelt and JFK and adding in our own Special Forces inspiration, here’s a challenge for those of you who seek such things - The GORUCK 50-Miler Star Course:
- 50+ Miles
- Teams of 2-5
- 20 lb Ruck Plate on your back, it’s called rucking
- 20 hours to complete
Finishers earn the GORUCK 50-Miler patch, which will never be for sale.
Starts Friday (May 18) at 9pm
Endex Saturday (May 19) at 5pm cut-off time
Start Point: Georgetown Waterfront (Labyrinth)
End Point: Balance Gym (Rooftop)
HOW IT WORKS
You and your team of 2-5 (including you) show up at the Start Point. A GORUCK Cadre will issue you a map and a list of waypoints. The route you and your team choose will be your own, so choose wisely. The minimum distance possible will be just over 50 Miles. You can expect to see the best sites in your city, and you can expect at least one long movement taking you to the outskirts, and possibly beyond.
Prior to starting the clock, we’ll ensure that you make a successful comms check with our remote support team via Instagram (we’ve run hundreds of events using this format, it works great). At each waypoint, you’ll be responsible for posting a picture of your team. This will serve as verification of your mileage, and by the end you’ll have a great album of photos to document the experience.
- The course will be at least 50 miles. You and your team can hit the waypoints in whatever order you want (good strategy helps).
- Teams are between 2-5 participants. You must finish with at least one buddy (team size: 2) to earn the finisher’s patch, no matter your initial team size.
- Splitting or joining teams during the event is not permitted.
- If someone in your team cannot continue during the event, the rest of the team can still continue and earn the finisher’s patch provided the original team size was greater than 2. If you start the event with a team size of 2 and one of you cannot continue at some point throughout the event, you cannot earn the finisher’s patch.
- Each participant will have a 20 lb Ruck Plate (or equivalent in non-consumable weight) in their rucksack at the start point. GORUCK Cadre will verify weight at the start and the end of the event.
- Keep your 1x 20 lb Ruck Plate (or equivalent) per participant with you at all times. You may cross load with your buddy/team members as desired, i.e. one of you may carry 40 lbs and the other 0 if you want.
- You are required to post a selfie with you and your teammate(s) in the picture at each of the waypoints listed on your waypoint sheet (which you’ll receive at the start point).
- Purchasing food along your route at anytime is authorized.
- Meeting outside individuals is allowed (re-supply etc.). They may not physically aid or assist your movement in any way, honor code in effect.
- No method of transportation is authorized except rucking.
- Follow any additional instructions or rules written on your waypoint sheet.
- Obey all traffic laws (and all the other laws, too) while participating.
- Call 911 with any real world emergency. We will provide a phone number on your waypoint sheet for GORUCK support questions.
- Cut-off time: 20 hours to earn the patch.
Register as an individual, ruck on a team (you are responsible for forming or finding a team of 2-5 ruckers)
Includes: the opportunity to earn the finisher’s patch, and a cold one or two at the end point.
WHAT TO BRING
- Ruck Plate, 20 lbs (or equivalent)
- Rucksack (GORUCK GR1/Rucker or equivalent)
- Reflective Ruck Bands (or equivalent) on your rucksack
- Headlamp (+ extra set of batteries)
- Smartphone with external battery (1 per team)
- Instagram app downloaded onto smartphone (1 per team)
- Photo ID and $20 cash (just in case)
- Source Hydration Bladder, 3L
- Nalgene bottle
- Food (lickies and chewies)
- One extra pair of socks
- Waterproof bag
- Strobe light
THE FINISHER’S PATCH
If you come in under 20 hours, you and your teammates earn the patch. If you don’t, there’s always next year.
It’s about the journey, and finishing is a noble and worthy goal. But for those kindred spirits who want a little healthy competition, we’re offering some GORUCK cash prizes for the winners.
GORUCK Cash Prizes (redeemable at goruck.com), per team:
- 1st Place team: $500
- 2nd Place team: $300
- 3rd Place team: $200
Everyone earns a beer (and a hug) at the finish. We’ll see ya there.
- Event Type:
- Star Course - 50 Miler
- Location Name:
- Washington, District of Columbia
- District of Columbia
- United States
- Registration Status: